Skip to main content

ON THE ALTAR



(setting: church; a wedding ceremony.Thematic pre-occupation: choosing between love and lust.)
















To say I do, is death to choose,
Will I not bleed, if I sign this truce?
To hold you close is pain to side.
Will I not die, if you be my bride?
Though beauty bows before your throne,
For beside you beauty is stone:
Your eyes are from Venus' source,
Seducing me without a pause,
Your lips like that of Mona Lisa,
That could turn a king to a kisser.
Your hips as high as the Everest,
Going side by side without a rest.
Your touch like that of a pure spring,
Touching me, I dance to a tring tring.
But are all this not vain, my dear,
If for beauty only, hips and lips I care,
Will you not run from me
And me from thee
When time is old,
And when the lust in us is cold?
If I agree to say I do,
Will I not at last receive a boo
From hatred, lust and odium too!
For shame will be mine at last,
If I die without a true lover's cast.
If I sign this paper and book,
Then forever, with thee, am sure to hook.
Then if am asked, who is my bride for real,
My reply shall be a harlot from Babylon’s heel.

To stop such feelings from being born,

Then from this holy altar, must I swiftly run.
For to say I do to you is death,
A love of lies that as no breath

 MIDE BENEDICT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWO WATERS by Mide Benedict

                               When two stones meet, they say, either one breaks the other, or they both break into pieces, but when two waters mix, they become one, and inseparable: so was the way it went for Akanji and Aduke. The day was bright at that time. The light of the sun shinned through the clouds, covering large fields of grasses and making them appear very radiant in their green skins. Akanji had kept it in mind for long: his heart pierced him badly that he knew that day was the day he would regain his freedom. Aduke, an elegant lady with vibrant smiles, enormous charms that made men melt on sighting her, sat beside Akanji as they usually did everyday. Many men have dreamt of Aduke in the night when they snoozed in bed with snores. In fact, many wanted to have her as something; be it wife, mistress or whatever just to have a taste of her, but the more they spoke to her, the more she ...

God and The Snail: Poetry For Some One Lost Soul

Sometimes it feels Like all is done, That this life of ours Is caught in deadly thorns: From where we cry for help in a land Where to have ears is a great taboo! But in all these... we remember...

Mute by Mide Benedict

That Friday, everyone was spitless, yet it felt as if we spoke all at once in fading tones. Adiza, Halimat's sister wore it differently, her eyes, blood red, her tongue, twisted. Mine was twisted too. Halimat laid right there, silent and unmoving; each gaze at her drove tears out of my eyes.