Skip to main content

FROM THE STEAMING POT OF PRAISE




In your hands of grace, me you bore,
rose me from the dust of shame and sore.
Drowning in the sea of sorrow, you took me ashore.
Buried in the soil of disgrace; my grave you tore.
Now tell me why I won't thank You when Your peace is core.

Speak not o mountains and valleys,
shut your lips o whistling rivers of Man,
replace my voice not o giant trees and cloud,
for my voice's pride I will bend to lift him high till I die,
my heart will see to His praises from morning to dusk.

I will turn back the hands of time,
carrying it on my shoulder, for that is prime.
I will journey to the time when man was none,
before your marvelous voice formed the sun,
I will fly to the time before sin grew a horn.
I will praise you from before the heavens were born,
I will call you till the world as incense, I burn.
For you are a King I will always adore,
So full of peace and the greatest ardor.

    Mide Benedict

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWO WATERS by Mide Benedict

                               When two stones meet, they say, either one breaks the other, or they both break into pieces, but when two waters mix, they become one, and inseparable: so was the way it went for Akanji and Aduke. The day was bright at that time. The light of the sun shinned through the clouds, covering large fields of grasses and making them appear very radiant in their green skins. Akanji had kept it in mind for long: his heart pierced him badly that he knew that day was the day he would regain his freedom. Aduke, an elegant lady with vibrant smiles, enormous charms that made men melt on sighting her, sat beside Akanji as they usually did everyday. Many men have dreamt of Aduke in the night when they snoozed in bed with snores. In fact, many wanted to have her as something; be it wife, mistress or whatever just to have a taste of her, but the more they spoke to her, the more she ...

God and The Snail: Poetry For Some One Lost Soul

Sometimes it feels Like all is done, That this life of ours Is caught in deadly thorns: From where we cry for help in a land Where to have ears is a great taboo! But in all these... we remember...

Mute by Mide Benedict

That Friday, everyone was spitless, yet it felt as if we spoke all at once in fading tones. Adiza, Halimat's sister wore it differently, her eyes, blood red, her tongue, twisted. Mine was twisted too. Halimat laid right there, silent and unmoving; each gaze at her drove tears out of my eyes.