Skip to main content

ADORNMENT OF ARDOR















O love, o love!
Your greatness is power I cannot deter but bare!
How beautiful is that gift the heart offers to share?
No matter how small or how little you have in there,
Take in a bit zephyr of love and you won’t but care.
Oh my dear, your thoughts I hear; Odium you say you bear?
Or the actions of the break of heart you say you fear?
I know when love touches your jumbled heart
Which lies quietly in your sacred part
Then you will know that hatred and its act
 Only titters at your unwitting past.
After that, this avowal you will orate at last:
Lust is a fool but love, a rare pet.

So far I know real love is rare to pick
Nevertheless its scarcity would stink
When your emotion is ready to seek
And when you find the one you wish to tick,
Certainly not will hatred try to peck
Or put to play her wicked cut-rate trick;
For love which has made you two angels prink
And given you those hearts that agelessly stick,
Would make you stand when dreads suddenly kick.

How deep is that pit of bond in which I fell?
 For after been locked in hatred's tightest cell
And propelled to throw you down the deepest hell,
My thoughts was that your life has answer'd death's call
But when your scent came and it I felt, I failed to repel.
Now your saccharinity, I will live to tell
For never again will love be what I desire to sell

 Love, nonetheless you are rare to pick,
And your ways are too cosmic to bear,
Yet your beauty I’ll live to tell.
Though you like ice still fire won’t melt

    MIDE BENEDICT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWO WATERS by Mide Benedict

                               When two stones meet, they say, either one breaks the other, or they both break into pieces, but when two waters mix, they become one, and inseparable: so was the way it went for Akanji and Aduke. The day was bright at that time. The light of the sun shinned through the clouds, covering large fields of grasses and making them appear very radiant in their green skins. Akanji had kept it in mind for long: his heart pierced him badly that he knew that day was the day he would regain his freedom. Aduke, an elegant lady with vibrant smiles, enormous charms that made men melt on sighting her, sat beside Akanji as they usually did everyday. Many men have dreamt of Aduke in the night when they snoozed in bed with snores. In fact, many wanted to have her as something; be it wife, mistress or whatever just to have a taste of her, but the more they spoke to her, the more she ...

God and The Snail: Poetry For Some One Lost Soul

Sometimes it feels Like all is done, That this life of ours Is caught in deadly thorns: From where we cry for help in a land Where to have ears is a great taboo! But in all these... we remember...

Mute by Mide Benedict

That Friday, everyone was spitless, yet it felt as if we spoke all at once in fading tones. Adiza, Halimat's sister wore it differently, her eyes, blood red, her tongue, twisted. Mine was twisted too. Halimat laid right there, silent and unmoving; each gaze at her drove tears out of my eyes.